Friday 15 April 2011

Watch out. Hi, my name is Colin Warhurst...

...and Joe O'Byrne has invited both myself and Chris Lane aboard the good ship Paradise Heights.

By way of an introduction, my name is Colin Warhurst, and I am a film-maker. Entirely self-made film-maker I must add. I started off ten years ago with a couple of quid and a camcorder, now almost ten years later I work full time for the BBC, I've made an indie feature film entirely independently, shot over 40 music videos, and between all that and my short films my work has been seen online over 60,000 times. So, I think I'm getting there.

I've been a huge fan of Joe's for years, and we've both been through similar trials and tribulations in the world of independent feature film. Joe of course has had Lookin' For Lucky set in Paradise Heights itself, and of course his turn in Diary Of A Bad Lad is superb.

(L-R: Colin Warhurst, Joe O'Bryne, Chris Lane)

For my sins, I was involved in a globe trotting independent film called Mancattan, which was shot four years ago in New York and Manchester. (You can watch it for free at www.mancattan.co.uk if you are interested.)

And so Indie Features brought myself and Mr O'Byrne together a while ago, yet it has taken us four years to both finally find time to sit down and work together! Now that we have, great things are already underfoot. We are all working together on a short film, which is a "spin-out" tale from Joe's play RANK. The film is called THE WATCHER...

Joe seems to think I make some half decent stuff (have a ganders yourself to see if he's right at www.colinwarhurst.co.uk) and so has asked me aboard to make this short film as another piece in the Paradise Heights jigsaw puzzle. I'm honoured, flattered and inspired, and can't wait to get rolling.

(Chris Lane and myself, Colin Warhurst.
The Producer/Director combo responsible for the
piece of crap that is www.bogstandardfilm.com)


Chris Lane is bringing his amazing and experienced Producer's eye to the table, whilst I've jumped aboard D.O.P./Editor/Camera duties. I've recently been moving more into a camera/tech sort of area and find myself directing less and less. Joe and I were both up for co-directing this, but in all honesty, Joe knows Paradise Heights inside and out, whereas this is my first foray into it's dark depths...

We're also pushing for a level of cinematography higher than we've both ever achieved before and I'm bring the Canon 5D Mark II to the table. As such, my hands are (already!) full with a plethora of camera tests, checks, animatics, storyboards and special effects, and we haven't even begun shooting yet! As a result, I'm leaving most (if not all!) the Directing and Producing duties to Chris and Joe so that I can in turn cover all the camera and tech issues, leaving them free to concentrate on their thing.

And so here we are. A DOP-Editor, Director-Writer, and Producer combo that between us have made some pretty awesome films. THE WATCHER will be the latest in that list. With our powers combined... this film is going to be GOODE.

Stay tuned, for behind the scenes snaps, previews, tidbits and shout outs for cast and crew. Please follow us on on twitter via #thewatcherfilm hashtag and we hope to have your support throughout the film. Any questions? Please holler!

Cheers folks! Col x

REMEMBER! TWITTER - #thewatcherfilm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strawberry Jack

Strawberry Jack
Designed by Joe O'Byrne